Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

On 05-Mar-2002 at 12:46:26 Simon Waters wrote:
MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:
I have spoken to some `key personnel' around here about these
policies and the general answer seems to be that it is the
responsibility of a University to provide experience of a real world
computing environment to its students.

Funny I thought it was the responsibility of Universities to
educate, and foster discussion, and development of new ideas,
but then I was at Uni a long time ago ;)

The problem was found, a long time ago now, that as more and more students
did a 4 year course, with 3 years academic work and 1 year working for a
company, what they 'used' at Uni, in terms of IT software, was not relevant.
The Uni (polytechnic then) was not keeping up with the software being used
in the real world. Since it is somewhat the de facto for students to do
these types of courses nowadays, espcially I gather in IT, so the Uni, as
Matthew said, has to provide a more realistic real world scenario. That is
what the 'central' services should be doing. What each faculty/department
does, to a large extent, is up to them. For that reason the faculty/depts
around the Uni may well run Unix/linux PC's, labs etc, but the central
services do not. As linux pervades into the dektop area, so things may well
change here. I think it will *have* to change - it's no good the geography
dept (for example) saying that they want to give their students linux
experience but they have to use the SoC labs to do this. It will be either
for the geog dept to provide it, or for a more central provision (from us)
of linux open-access areas for all staff and students. As more departments
request this so it will become more of an issue for the central services.

The real issue here is psychology. People are comfortable with
Windows, even though it may give them some pain, they think they
understand it as they have used it. People don't make decisions
rationally, they do what they feel comfortable doing.

Even within an 'IT literate' area of the Uni? I agree that this seems to be
what is happening here, but it seems to be more like ignorance or
brain-washing when IT people themselves don't consider a problem to any
extent other than 'how does Windows solve this' rather than 'how do I solve
this problem'!

At the UK Meteorological Office, some of the most successful and
radical IT ideas were those that could evolve. The Intranet was
deployed early and became very functional, because free
webserver software made it possible to do without spending tax
payers money, and thus without senior management committing
themselves to something they didn't understand.

As a tax payer I'm very glad to hear it :-) As an IT person (professional?)
I'm glad to hear you have management that seem to have some sense!

Similarly the way to break barriers in other organisations is to
solve real problems. The web proxy is a good example, it solved
the problem cheaply and quickly, management like that, and they
won't worry about the HOW, if it is executed efficiently, and
doesn't become an issue.

Agreed. We have 2 linux web caches because it would take too long to setup
Windows servers to do this (I was told). I was also told, on the quiet, that
they didn't know *how* to set up Windows proxy caches (ah, the 'real'
reason)! However, here, in the long term, if we keep caches, they will no
doubt be replaced by Windows servers once they find out how to do it :-(

Of course the cynical might say Universities should teach
students to use the technology they will encounter in business,
not the technology business is using today.

Nope, lost me with that one :-) Okay, call me ignorant! Time for coffee and
lunch :-)

John.