Re: [LUG] WINDOWS 98 Security - the joke just got better

David Johnson wrote:

psutton<mypassword in plain text for all to see >=c:\windows\psutton<first
letter of password.pwl>

Well we all like to bash Microsoft, but what attack are you
afraid of?

I mean someone with physical access to your PC can pretty well
do what they like.

Linux is arguably marginally better in some regards as they may
have to reboot if you always lock it when you leave it
unattended, but I've seen very few PCs adequately protected
against a malicious and informed person with local access.
Although we use to lock PC access pretty tightly at the UK
Meteorological Office with password protection at boot - not
BIOS, that is too easy to reset in hardware.

Encrypted partitions offer a little protection of data from
probing eyes, but nothing stops then dropping a "password"
stealer in to get the magic phrase for the next time they have
access.

Windows 95 sent unencrypted passwords with network requests,
worse it would send all the passwords you'd entered since login.
Windows 98 encrypted them, but even access to encrypted
passwords isn't ideal, if it is possible to run a dictionary
attack.

Linux and Unix users shouldn't be complacent, even though Unix
has always encrypted passwords, Crack shows just how quick and
easy a dictionary attack can be. Which is why the passwords are
now shadowed. But shadowed encrypted passwords are not the best
answer as it means you still have to send the unencrypted
password to the server, something that Windows no longer
requires!

Out of the box few systems are good, but M$ systems can now do
some very cool authentication stuff bundled with the OS, and the
*nux world really needs to sharpen up their practises.

Good (free! as in speech) authentication solutions exists for
*nix, but all too often business or vendors assume "this method
is good enough" when in fact it offer very little protection
against the knowledgable attacker. Or it doesn't integrate
nicely.

I for one could do with knowing more about PAM.

Well we all know what the solution to that is don't we :-)
(Says I using Windows ME!)

:(

Why?