Re: [LUG] WINDOWS 98 Security - the joke just got better

Paul Sutton wrote:

A dire warning

Under Windows 98 the pwl file is encrypted hence typing type file.pwl comes
up with jibberish,

try this

Start - run
msconfig.exe
click on system.ini tab and scroll down to password list click on the +

now on my system I have listed the following
Psutton=c:\windows\psutton.pwl
User=c:\windows\user.pwl
psutton<mypassword in plain text for all to see >=c:\windows\psutton<first
letter of password.pwl>

try just looking at system.ini via a text editor. I also did a search for my
password in the registry and found it near my username in the same format as
line 2 above i.e username<password>

Can anyone with XP please check this,  as if the problem is with that also,
then you should really worry. Same goes for NT. etc

Paul

Well we all know what the solution to that is don't we :-)
(Says I using Windows ME!)

David Johnson.

--

Microsoft Tech Support: Windows? Oh it does that sometimes.