[LUG] WINDOWS 98 Security - the joke just got better

A dire warning

Under Windows 98 the pwl file is encrypted hence typing type file.pwl comes
up with jibberish,

try this

Start - run
msconfig.exe
click on system.ini tab and scroll down to password list click on the +

now on my system I have listed the following
Psutton=c:\windows\psutton.pwl
User=c:\windows\user.pwl
psutton<mypassword in plain text for all to see >=c:\windows\psutton<first
letter of password.pwl>

try just looking at system.ini via a text editor. I also did a search for my
password in the registry and found it near my username in the same format as
line 2 above i.e username<password>

Can anyone with XP please check this,  as if the problem is with that also,
then you should really worry. Same goes for NT. etc

Paul