From: "Adrian Midgley" <akm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 06 February 2002 19:12
Subject: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

Problem is if you say I have ECDL with star office, employers may ignore
you,  as they expect  MS.

There is allegedly nothing about the European Computer Driving Licence
that
is specific to any OS, office suite, or windowing environment.

In practice there seems to be a preponderance of one particular software
firm's products in testing centres.

The NHS is pressing for many staff to take it.

Good idea,  see above

It would be nice to see a Linux/Star Office/MySQL instruction and test
group
able to offer training and testing on a par with those using closed source
systems.

I agree here, my interpretation of Computer Literate is being able to use
computers / software and more importantly adapt onesself to new software,
and be willing to learn and take the time to learn.

I also think that it is more effective to train people to use
word-processing
software than it is to use Word, spreadsheets, rather than Excel, and to
know
something about the difference between a spreadsheet and a table rather
than
Access.