RE: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Callaghan [mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

In article <3C61B95B.A4A85B58@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Simon Waters
<Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
The extra know how required to build a VB app over Access is pretty
minimal, indeed I never really mastered Access as after each
attempt I'd
think why am I bothering and build the app in VB faster and
with more
control. Access then just became something you use to make testing
easier.
That's interesting as I had exactly the same feelings ... but
reversed.
I found I spent much more time building DB-based apps in VB than in
Access. And as for printing sensible reports ...

I know Access isn't ideal, doesn't comply fully with
standards, has size
limitations etc but it is common, it does what I need and
it's suitable
for the size of firms that I deal with.

But I shall still look at the Linux alternatives, especially
now that so
many of you have been able to give me some pointers to some
pretty front
ends.

Regards
--
Mike Callaghan
Newquay, Cornwall

If you're wanting an GUI Admin tool pgadmin (pgadmin.postgresql.org) may be
handy (unfourtunatly MS Windows, although I believe it works under wine as
well).
As an aside PostgreSQL 7.2 has been released.
Cheers,
- Stuart