Re: [LUG] GCC compilation? Good C++ book

Steve Marvell wrote:

It's generally been my opinion that programming is 90% ability to
break down problems and understanding computers and 10% language
syntax.

yep - me too.

[rant RE the fun and games we call programming...]

whew!!! sorry about that - i think i was getting something off my chest!!!

Do I detect a hint of bitter experience here?

ha!! just the usual. managers making up deadlines without asking first, huge fundemental changes in specifications, managers who can use a spreadsheet (or made one table in access) saying 'all you have to do is...' :o)

i'm lucky really because i work for one guy and we have had a couple of big contracts from a company and i am able to code the way i prefer - and we've managed to replace a 'system' which was a nightmare with something which is making their lives much easier. out of approx 12 companies in the UK they have been told their data handling is the best - and there could be some expansion etc. so things are ok.

a good book on SQL is essential too.

I've got the SQL programmers reference, and I think it's pants. I generally pick up O'Reilly's SQL in a Nutshell.

'instant SQL [programming]' is mine.

Steve

PS does your shift key not work, or have you merely abandoned English usage?

er... [embarrassed] it's a habit now. obviously, official stuff, dealing with people who pay, documentation etc. the caps get used again.