Re: [LUG] Plug'n Play???

Trevor Sansom wrote:

This weekend I purchased a DVD rom by LG to replace my
aging x2 speed CD rom. Unpluged one & plugged in the
other. Booted up SuSe 7.1 & regognised immediately,
including scsi emulation for cdburning. Tried Win98 to
no avail, tried all I knew, still no joy. Reinstalled
Win98, now ensoniq 1370 sound card not recognised,
luck SuSe recognised it tho' otherwise I wouldn't know
what card it was. Spent afternoon on net downloading
ensoniq drivers & got one to work. Reinstalled EASY CD
& CD Create, still OK.Loaded AOL 6 Ok after only 6
restarts. Installed Trust Roller ball, WIndows won't
load anymore. Pissed around for a few more hours, in &
out of safe mode, etc. still no joy. To be fair this
happened once before & was only cured by a new mouse
but not this time. Installed Win95 and am still
reinstalling vital packages one at a time with
assosciated restarts.

DMA for a dvd springs to mind,windows may have your new drive in PIO mode4(which the CD burner will more than likely be set to!) and double check the drive jumper settings for master/slave set up..

You may wonder why i'm bothering with Windows
anything. It's because I use Telewest (nee Eurobell)
for my telephone and like unmetered access, so have to
use AOL wiht its binding to Windows. Can anyone tell
me of a solution to thios problem?

Anyway the undisputed Pnp champion was undoubtedly
SuSe 7.1 by a very long mile.

Trevor Sansom