Re: [LUG] GCC compilation? Good C++ book

kevin bailey wrote:

Steve Marvell wrote:

It's generally been my opinion that programming is 90% ability to
break down problems and understanding computers and 10% language
syntax.

yep - me too.

I know what you mean, but perhaps it is I keep switching
languages for different projects, but I find knowing the object
libraries is a major headache for my brain.

My involvement in a VB 4 project (It started in VB 3) finished
before I'd even managed to work through the Biblio example and
master the data bound controls.

When you master the bundled object libraries then there are the
3rd party ones.

I know programmers are alledgedly faster working from a blank
sheet in many circumstances, but quality components can change
how you approach a program completely.

One programmer I worked with managed to make a mistake
implementing a stack! (He wasn't very good but he was technical
lead - eek - as he knew the problem domain). Annoyingly we were
using a third party Java library that had a very efficient
stack, in the end it needed some extra features so I extended
vector from the same library, but that little bug slowed
everything right down.

Maybe I just didn't do enough programming to get very good at
it, most of the coding work has been in maintaining systems
rather than build from scratch. I got really good at debugging
Fortran 66 (And earlier flavours) at one point.

People who write object libraries seem to think they can draw
one (or three) huge posters with loads of detail to put on the
wall and you'll just see what is available.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768