Re: [LUG] GCC compilation? Good C++ book

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:01:25PM +0000, kevin bailey wrote:

practical c++ programming by steve oualline (o'reilly') was the book i
read when doing my programming study

I've heard great things about this book. It's been recommended by many
of mates who use C++ all the time.

There is, of course, Practical C Programming and all the others in the
O'Reilly section:

http://cprog.oreilly.com/

if you can program well in c/c++ you should be able to adapt to other
languages reasonably well.

In my opinion, if you can program well in C, then you can program
well, because C gives you nothing really. There's no STL, no AWT,
etc. It's raw and you can make mistakes. It's a great grounding.

In terms of adaption, there is an extra step with the whole OO thing,
should you be migrating from C to C++, or even Java. Certainly, C is
not going to give you a grounding in low level, functional or logical
languages, but it's going to help a lot with languages people in the
non-academic world use.

It's generally been my opinion that programming is 90% ability to
break down problems and understanding computers and 10% language
syntax.

breaking things down into functions is essential - and object
orientation principles can apply to many languages.

In fact, OO was around before C++; people just programmed it carefully
in C :)

i find that different languages have to be used in different
circumstances - php, java, ASP, even VB all have their uses - but i've
only really used c when in an engineering enviroment where low level
libraries were used to control hardware.

Another "right tool for the job" type person. Nice to know there are
more than a few of us out there. I generally use perl, but fall into C
if I want to do something I can optimise for speed in there. Perl's
lack of mmap is annoying, for instance, so write a bit of C and link
it in.

so really my experience is that programming is a case of mix and
match

Eclectic, maybe :)

[ familiar rant ]

whew!!! sorry about that - i think i was getting something off my chest!!!

Do I detect a hint of bitter experience here?

a good book on SQL is essential too.

I've got the SQL programmers reference, and I think it's pants. I
generally pick up O'Reilly's SQL in a Nutshell.

i would say that any language which enables data to be manipulated via a
browser or multi-platform is a good choice of study and for job propects
so although c (don't call it c++ !!!) has the most respect amongst older
coders i feel that java is now taking its place.  but because it is
strictly object orientated that  is probably a good thing.

Oh my God! Am I old (at 28)?

C++ with a bit of perl, VB and SAP seems to be the top combo atm.

hope this wasn't too dull :o)

I actually found it quite refreshing.

Steve

PS does your shift key not work, or have you merely abandoned English usage?