Re: [LUG] Experiments with NFS

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 12:30 am, you wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
I've been toying with NFS and I'm confused on NFS and removable drives:

Stop thinking in terms of mount points and directories.... think
inodes and file handles, and filesystems.

You don't export /export/share (inode XXXX, filesystem 1) you
mount something onto /export/share (i.e. filesystem 2) and
export (inode YYYY, filesystem 2).

Thus you can only share a filesystem after it is mounted, and
you have to unmount to unload CD normally even if it happens by
magic. Export before mount and people see inode XXXX, filesystem
1, which is hopefully an empty directory (oops - I meant inode
list of other inodes).

Thanks to the How-to that Alex mentioned, I've got it working.

To eject a CD on the server when the filesystem on that CD is mounted on the
client via NFS I now use:
(as ordinary user on the client, 192.168.0.1)
umount /mnt/servercd

Then:
(as root on the NFS server)
exportfs -u 192.168.0.1:/mnt/cdrom
eject
And eject deals with the umount /mnt/cdrom.

The client /etc/fstab contains:
server:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/servercd nfs user,ro,soft,nosuid 0 0
(so it can be mounted at boot but more likely by a user once the CD is
inserted into the server drive.)

On the server, I use
/etc/hosts.deny -
ALL : ALL : (/usr/sbin/safe_finger -l @%h | /bin/mail -s %d-%h root) &
/etc/hosts.allow -
ALL : 192.168.0.1 LOCAL
/etc/exports -
/mnt/cdrom 192.168.0.1(ro,all_squash)

The safe_finger booby trap in hosts.deny I picked up from the man hosts.allow
page. Any attempt to connect from outside the allowed area results in a)
denial b) an email to the root account of the server. It may never be used
(it certainly shouldn't if I've got my iptables right) but it's worth trying!
Even if the denied connection was made from a machine not running finger, at
least I'll still have a log of the attempt.

The filesystem isn't mounted on the client unless it's already mounted on the
server, so the CD needs to be put in and mount /mnt/cdrom run on the server
before the mount /mnt/servercd command will function on the client.

Now to get it implemented on the rest of the LAN!

--

Neil Williams