[LUG] Experiments with NFS

I've been toying with NFS and I'm confused on NFS and removable drives:

1. If I put
/mnt/cdrom/ client()
in /etc/exports and restart nfsd, I don't seem to be able to then unmount the
drive or eject the CD until I've commented the line out of /etc/exports and
restarted nfsd. Is that right? Is there a command to still eject the CD
providing no user on the client machine actually has the nfs share mounted?

2. What if I put a line into /etc/fstab on the client to mount the nfs export
- what happens if the server isn't running temporarily or (in the case of a
CD) if there's no drive loaded? Do I need an 'auto' option of some kind or
will it take care of it for me?

At present, I've just exported a home folder to allow for easier backups
using /home/user client() which only gives access to the share from the named
client and only in read-only mode with existing user permissions retained.
(Have I got that right?)

(I'm then using
mount -t nfs server:/home/user /mnt/server/user
to mount the share on the client)

(Mandrake 8.1)

--

Neil Williams