Re: [LUG] Experiments with NFS

On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 23:15, Neil Williams wrote:

2. What if I put a line into /etc/fstab on the client to mount the nfs export
- what happens if the server isn't running temporarily or (in the case of a
CD) if there's no drive loaded? Do I need an 'auto' option of some kind or
will it take care of it for me?

You want to look into "soft" mounting.  This is something more I've done
with Solaris than Linux but the principes should be the same.  Soft
mounting should be ok for read-only media like CD's but you want to be
careful with doing it on writable mounts.

Awyway, this looks helpful:

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html#MOUNTOPTIONS

Alex.