Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properl

In article <XFMail.20020108172951.john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John
Horne <J.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
I would not have said 'optimised'. As far as I remember Mandrake was
created basically as redhat linux with the KDE X window system as the
default user interface. It also had a simpler installation procedure. In
that respect it was easier for users/newbies to install and go...:-)

Up to last week I would have agreed with the ease of installation ...

I play with Linux from time-to-time (I make my money from MS) and have
tried RH Suse etc but the Mandrake installer worked perfectly on my
AMD266/128Mb/S3 setup where previously I had struggled for a decent
install. I also find the Mandrake package management front-end better
than RH's.

However, last week I tried to install Mandrake on a similar spec machine
but cannot get the installer to complete. By contrast, Suse went
straight in.

I think they will all have their strengths and weaknesses.

--
Mike Callaghan
Newquay, Cornwall