Re: [LUG] vga entry in lilo.conf (ACER 200DX and SuSe 7 XF86 4.03 config)

Neil Williams wrote:

> To convert decimal into hexadecimal:

Oh come on - I do remember some of my maths degree, besides I
still have me scientific calculator *8-)

kcalc does this fairly easily.

"dc" does arbitary base calculations with arbitary precision so
eat that Mr Solar powered casio;

dc
7i
66

Will tell you 66 in base 7 is 48 in base 10.

When converting to other bases set the output radix first *8-)

Thus

dc
16o
7i
66
Gives 30 in hex being 48 in decimal again.

dc
7i
16o
66
Gives 39 - which is base 13 as 16 in base 7 is 13 in decimal.
3x13+9=48

Confused yet?

> Does anyone have fbset already?

SuSe 7.1 and later have all this - the command to set up fbdev
is just call SaX2 with the name of the driver "fbdev", and a
hint you want to set things up.

> > If youre running X all the time I'd be tempted to just remove the vga=
> > line.

> vga=ask doesn't work on the laptop as it consistently refuses to offer
> 1024x768 16bit as an option. Even though the laptop runs X continually, X
> won't function without the vga=791 in /etc/lilo.conf

Right - but since I don't want to use fbdev - I don't want to
set this. I was a bit surprised when "ask" baulked at 791, but
it clearly only understands text modes for the console.

Since it was setting the "vga" mode that causes my X problems,
as opposed to solves yours, I'll try Alex's approach.

If we must discuss this laptop, losing the Windows configuring
of the touch pad is the next thing. When booted into Windows,
and then warm rebooted to Linux the touchpad goes mad...... It's
a common problems, with the easy work around of not booting
Windows - alas the Digital camera is not supported by gphoto
yet!