[LUG] ACER 200DX and SuSe 7 XF86 4.03 config

Argh - after lurking for months I think I've finally cracked the
problem I had with the ATI driver for X.

The problem was intermittent horizontal lines corrupting the
display, especially when running lots of Windows, scroll bars
were particularly badly affected.

Followed SuSe web site advice on running with the Linux
framebuffer, this is really for using unsupported graphics cards
as far as I can tell, and was suggested at last nights pub
meeting. It is a really simple config as SuSe has all the
relevant kernel settings and packages in recent releases.

Sure enough, if you like 800x600 with 256 colours the frame
buffer suggestions work a treat.

Deciding that truecolour is a must - call me shallow - I
scrubbed the XF86Config, and did XFree86 --configure (As
before). But this time it seems to work fine.

The change was breaking my lilo.conf !

SuSe had inserted a "vga=768" line in the lilo.conf, now I
changed this for the fbdev config to reflect what I wanted, but
changed it back to "vga=ask". Found selecting option 1 seems to
work right.

Can anyone adequately explain the significance of the "vga="
line? I mean I've read what it is suppose to do, but can anyone
explain what it really does.

Anyway if this list is still archived and indexed - no one else
need suffer.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768