Re: Configuration Management was Re: [LUG] groupware

Steve Marvell wrote:

> Call me a hcker if you will, but there have been no good process
> driven projects I've ever worked on.

Hmm - In the sales role we saw all sorts of teams, and all sorts
of processes, and only those with decent processes were going
anywhere fast.

Decent processes aren't necessarily heavyweight, which is where
the military/government often fell down. Some sites had good
developer involvement in decisions, realistic deadlines that
they usually achieved without excessive midnight oil being
burnt, everyone knew the process, and their own roles. They were
few and far between, but they do exist, and the developers
smiled more at those sites.

We saw some really wacky abuses of SCM and process - the
funniest was one military contractor who had fought for an opt
out on their previous project from the project SCM tool, but
obviously lost the political battle this time and had some
hideous heavyweight process tool inflicted on them, which was
about 3 years behind the current release of said process tools
because the vendor had introduced some hideously complex upgrade
procedure - no one was going to get much software written on
that project anytime soon.

As a large government project it also got hit by loads of other
process related requirements - any methodology appropriate for
as long as it is SSADM - I pity the poor development teams in
that kind of environment.

So there is good, and there is bad, and there is totally over
the top. Why do I suspect you've seen too much of the third.

I agree complex to configure tools are a problem, which is why I
emphasised "lightweight" nature of the tools I had liked. The
biggest problem was they were almost all Win32 only interfaces
-  which was a pain for us as we were mainly supporting cross
platform stuff, so Java would have been a god send.

 Simon