Re: Configuration Management was Re: [LUG] groupware

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 04:53:44PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> For my sins I use to sell Software Configuration management
> tools. So such issues were key to making a living.

I hate people who do that :) I hate config managment tools. Please,
don;t ask me why. I could rant for ages, but choose not to.

> Tools like RCS and CVS are okay for source code management, but
> in themselves they do not provide much process.

*spit* Don't get me on to the restictions of process and the ballache
it causes. I find ... no, I'm stoipping now. :)

On CM in general, I've not found a single product which works nicely
off the shelf. Ones that need configuration tend to take longer to
configure than the product takes to write (in my experience). Other
than that, I've found it easier to write a spot of perl to throw up a
cgi interface, should some rigid system be required for some reason.

Call me a hcker if you will, but there have been no good process
driven projects I've ever worked on.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the requirement for objects and
all that, should CM be required.

</rant>

Steve