RE: [LUG] groupware

I know cvs etc. are for programming projects, but don't they have some
potential?

Is there that much difference between html source / cgi scripts etc. and c
source files?????

I don't think I'm seriously suggesting cvs or rcs, but I wonder what may be
around that's based on them.

Paul

>===== Original Message From Simon Waters <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>Adrian Midgley wrote:
>>
>> Small company, Internet startup, dispersed but technically Ok albeit mostly
>> with Windows.
>>
>> What does the panel think a groupware solution might be based on?
>
>Depends what you are trying to achieve.
>
>Having used Lotus Notes in  Windows only and cross platform
>environments, I would say it can do most things people want from
>groupware, but it wasn't simple or easy to use (This was at a
>computer support and consultancy company, and at a group of
>extremely able engineers - so the average user was probably more
>technically competent than the average Internet startup staff -
>mechnical engineers are usually computer gurus, I suspect
>computing is more interesting than mechanical engineering ;).
>
>Good Notes administration makes rocket science look like the
>simple application of conservation of momemtum. Mostly
>administration was nightmarish as the product had grown over
>time, and some times a simple change required pushing related
>information into zillions of different places - and why the
>security might satisfy the CIA finding an administrator who
>actually understands it to that level is next to impossible....
>
>>From a technical perspective I was amused by the way Lotus Notes
>used time stamp for replication activity without checking if the
>two machines even agreed on the decade (Although recovering my
>work when this happened was not so amusing).
>
>A good yard stick to measure your choice by though, but I
>wouldn't recommend it unless it has must have features.
>Replication is less important these days, when not having an
>Internet connection is considered so unfashionable. Replication
>was the USP - and I'm assured Exchange never caught up.
>
>> In another context the Devon local medical committees are looking at Wiki,
>> having used FirstClass, then CIX conferencing with Ameol, and I'm much
>> impressed but think it is more use for preparing handbook sort of
documents,
>> and for collaborative authoring, than for the sort of thing
Outlook/Exchange
>> Server is aimed at.
>
>Which bits of Outlook/Exchange?
>
>News (NNTP) servers are quite good for conference/discussion
>work and allows correspondents to pick their own favourite
>newsreader. It helps if people understand proper Usenet style
>etiquette - some news readers do not encourage good netiquette.
>The expiry of news articles isn't necessary if you have the disk
>space.
>
>IMAP4 servers allow simple folder sharing of e-mail - I use the
>Washington Uni one, although I'm assured that the other free one
>scales better. One or two common mail programs don't implement
>IMAP4 well, but you can use Netscape Communicator on all
>platforms as a minimum free client, you can even fairly safely
>wait till said mail programs fail before switching to a.n.other.
>
>Calendar sharing software should be the easiest stuff in the
>world to write, but I've not used a good cross platform tool,
>never been asked to find one. Although I have seen some fairly
>decent web based tools for this sort of thing, having a little
>applet locally to remind you when to do things is vital. iCAL is
>the standard to watch according to the mental notes I made.
>
>Groupware, like Remote User VPN technologies, are underused
>technologies.
>
>I think M$ NetMeeting is great, and I'm amazed Microsoft never
>charged for it. Is there some really good free product they were
>trying to eliminate from the market that I missed, or did Bill
>make a mistake?
>
> Simon
>
>--
>Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
>Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768
>Moderated discussion of teleworking at news:uk.business.telework
>
>--

Paul Hewson, Postgraduate Statistics Student (part-time)
School of Mathematical Sciences, Laver Building,
University of Exeter, North Park Road, EXETER  EX4 4QE, U.K.

tel:   +44 1392 382773 fax: +44 1392 382135
email: P.J.Hewson@xxxxxxxxxxxx