Re: [LUG] EMail Clients... and Netscape 6

> The '/net' or '-net' will do a network install - i.e. most of the
> files are on some system, and the user then installs only a small
> part of SO onto their local machine. In my case both machines are
> one and the same. However, it is perfectly possible to do a full
> install directly into the users file space if they are the only user
> on the system - again, at home I'm the only user on the system, so
> doing a net install or a full user install really makes little
> difference.

That is, indeed the case, but he did say he was installing as root,
so the instruction should, perhaps, have been not to.
There are two users on my system.

> [slightly off topic]
> Pegasus at the Uni is finally being dropped; IE will be used
> instead. Having worked with/maintained the early mail transfers and
> mail applications within the Uni (cripes!), Pegasus was 'okay' in
> its day. (I should add that I haven't had to deal with Pegasus for
> the past few years now.) However, support has been abismal, as well
> as for the Mercury MTA provided by them. Although there has been
> talk of Pegasus for linux, I doubt it will happen. David Harris
> seems very unwilling to make Pegasus open-source, and without the
> sources debugging/development is somewhat difficult :-) The Novell
> file servers using Mercury *STILL* have the year shown as '100' -
> the old year 2000 bug!! Surely they could have sorted this one out
> by now!

I like Pegasus.  I like the way it mangles file extensions on
attachments if someone has sent you one with an excessively long
filename.  The main problem we have is the Uni's policy of allocating
20MB network profiles into which archived email is stored.  People
are always coming to me saying they have hung their system by either
a. storing 500+ emails this way or b. being sent a 14 meg .tif or
something.  About half the people in this building have had Outlook
forced upon them now and the general feedback is they don't like the
way it opens everything without asking and it seems to act as a
magnet from unwanted rubbish.

This message went on for another paragraph but I though better of it
since I would like to work here for another six months.

MB

Disclaimer:  No views are my own or anyone else's.