Re: [LUG] EMail Clients... and Netscape 6

On 03-Dec-2001 at 09:17:12 MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:
> Jason.  I can't remember how I installed Netscape 6, but with SO5.2
> if you want to use it as a user other than root you have to add the
> suffix /net when you execute the install script.  As I recall, this
> is not in the docs and irritated me at the time (not as much as
> actually trying to use the *** thing!).  Once that is done, you then
> install again as a user - not a full install, mind, but there is a
> setup script which creates a user account in /home/jason, or
> whatever.

The '/net' or '-net' will do a network install - i.e. most of the files are
on some system, and the user then installs only a small part of SO onto
their local machine. In my case both machines are one and the same. However,
it is perfectly possible to do a full install directly into the users file
space if they are the only user on the system - again, at home I'm the only
user on the system, so doing a net install or a full user install really
makes little difference.

> Pegasus at work, Mutt at home (never get any emails though), Opera 6
> for reading Slashdot.

[slightly off topic]
Pegasus at the Uni is finally being dropped; IE will be used instead. Having
worked with/maintained the early mail transfers and mail applications within
the Uni (cripes!), Pegasus was 'okay' in its day. (I should add that I
haven't had to deal with Pegasus for the past few years now.) However,
support has been abismal, as well as for the Mercury MTA provided by them.
Although there has been talk of Pegasus for linux, I doubt it will happen.
David Harris seems very unwilling to make Pegasus open-source, and without
the sources debugging/development is somewhat difficult :-) The Novell file
servers using Mercury *STILL* have the year shown as '100' - the old year
2000 bug!! Surely they could have sorted this one out by now!

John.