Re: [LUG] Way out of my depth now

Tom Laithwaite wrote:

> If it gives me different answers does that suggest a fault at my end?

No, if you are requesting the same IP address then getting a
different route is down to the routers.

If you use the name in traceroute, it might be resolving to
multiple IP addresses.

Indeed if you read up on IP, you will see comment that their is
no guarantee that even the packets in one traceroute session
will all take the same route to the destination.

Traceroute only gives meaningful answers most of the time,
because the Internet routing typically changes infrequently.

>From Demon the packets stop at BT Telehouse connection,
presumably at this point they are firewalling the relevant ICMP
packets to stop people finding out too much about how the online
banking is set up.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768