Re: [LUG] S.uS.E Linux 7.2 my thoughts

Hello folks
I started to install S.uS.E 7.2 Professional on Thursday 6 Sep 2001.
I am a Newbie, My definition Is a Newbie's is a person that needs a manual or
assistance.
Well, I managed without assistance but O I needed the Manual.
This is given to all so you may make notes, Sorry for the folk that have been
there but did not tell the rest of us the results.
The Boot disk was inserted and the CD no one, one hour later Wal-laa a
working Linux with Office, !!! some small problems or so I thought, all my
hardware was detected OK, no error messages. so what was the problem! ? it
was the resolution of the screen, 600X800 fine nothing else, so to Sax2 the
latest set-up for the video card and monitor, only to receive a message, that
the Linux installation was running on Xfree86.3 not as expected Xfree86.4, so
to Yast to try and install the new version. No can do it refuses to install.
Well, blow me down I do say I must Send an E-mail to the German Bods, but
wait I say have you read the Manual. No, I say's, so after two hours, lots of
coffee + a mind bending BRANDY  reading I found the Note.
Xfree86.4 will not run with a Video card that has I QUOTE "S3 Trio3d,
Savage4,Savage3d, and Savage 2000 Chips and almost all S3 Virge cards. The
software detects such a card and reverts to the Xfree86.3 that has minimal
support for such cards.
Conclusions:-Read the B****y Book it was all in there but it took me time to
read it.
Next problem as every thing seamed to work apart from the choice of
resolutions, I tried to install every thing from the 7 CD's as it said in
YAST2 that just over 6 Gig's was required, what's more it said if I selected
to much for the Disk space it would tell me, ****** Wrong it did not 21
packages left requiring 21 Meg it hit the top of Memory with the message disk
full Aborted.
Well, not to worry, I will delete some I do not need. Not so easy I find
Yast2 Installs before deleting. Dumb or What. Yes, I know the reasoning be
hind it but it is flawed, if you uninstall, then reinstall it may be that you
wish to get rid of the original and load something else in its place, or you
feel the software is buggy and maybe to load again might cure it. Good
thinking but it don't work that way as new software is installed first and if
dependent file are already there no new copy will be installed so result no
improvement.
Conclusion:- Uninstall software leave Yast or RPM, finish then start again to
install, then it works.
Yup 2 days later 6 GIGS of software and all is well.
Maybe,! but that's another story for another day.
I hope this has been or will be of help to others.
As for S.uS.E they get better and better but still some to go.
Long Live Linux
Trevor

Lynx friendly