Re: [LUG] Live and learn - was network unreachable

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 12:11 am, you wrote:

> OK, quick step to find ou exactly where theproblem is:
> 1) ping router (0.2) from client
> 2) ping router's external IP address (ppp connectio? ping the ppp address)
> 3) ping an internet IP address from a client

Everything worked up to 3. Now it's OK.

> 4) I think the problem is before here.
>
> Have you set up forwarding up on th router? IIRC youneed to echo "1" >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward IIRC.

The firewall does that for me. Along with depmod -a and modprobes.

> Also, check your ipchains FORWARD rule
> - is it on accept?
>
> "Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)"

Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
ACCEPT     all  ------  Linux.CodeHelp       Linux.CodeHelp        n/a
ACCEPT     all  ------  ppp-x-xx.xxxx-x.access.uk.worldonline.com anywhere
        n/a
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere              n/a

I'm on extra dumb mode tonight - not enough sleep obviously. I was only
changing the settings in the temporary installation directory wasn't I!! Doh!

I then commented out the line created by the installer and added the one I
needed. It works now.

Maybe some day I'll learn my lesson.  So far, I've left an old installation
in place (/dev/modem/ in LinuxConf - Networking - PPP/SLIP/PLIP), cleared
that but still left the old modem connection config behind (DrakConf -
Network and Internet Configuration - modem connection) and edited the right
config file but in the wrong directory! (And then wondered why the settings
were being ignored.) Oh and not configured the gateway to actually share the
connection in the first place (DrakConf - Internet Connection Sharing)!!!!

Time for bed (said Z).

:-)

Now all I need is an auto-dialler!!!!!

--