[LUG] Network unreachable

I'm still struggling with a firewall / masquerading / gateway / problem.

I can now access the internet from 192.168.0.2 from behind a apparently
adequate firewall. (www.grc.com reads the ports as in stealth mode, just the
same as ZoneAlarm Pro does for my Windows box.)

However, after installing PMFirewall (as recommended on the Mandrake Security
page), I can't seem to find a reason for the other Linux Mandrake 7.2 boxes
on the LAN to say that the internet is unreachable. I've set 192.168.0.2 as
the default gateway in LinuxConf and tried with and without enabling routing.

ping works fine on local addresses, but I can't ping from the masqueraded box
to any internet address.

A snippet of ipchains -L shows:
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
ACCEPT     all  ------  Linux.CodeHelp       Linux.CodeHelp        n/a
ACCEPT     all  ------  ppp-1-xxx.xxxx-x.access.uk.worldonline.com anywhere
         n/a
MASQ       all  ------  Linux.CodeHelp       anywhere              n/a

(the ppp-1 numbers have been obscured - I thought it best but I'm probably
fussing over nowt!)

ifconfig on the connected box shows ppp0 (still with a lot of errors) but the
masqueraded box does not (just eth0 and lo). Is that right or wrong?

Do I need a proxy server AS WELL AS forwarding/masquerading? I did install
Squid which worked, but it didn't allow SMTP access. I want to be able to
send email to the internet from all machines, not just the server.

What information am I missing?

--

Neil Williams