Re: [LUG] kernel 2,4.5

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Paul Sutton wrote:

> If I remember reading correctly somewhere any kernel version with an odd
> number patch level,  is either late beta and the even numbers are more
> stable,  not sure if this still applies,  seems to back up with other
> stories about odd number kernels being a bit dodgy,

I think you'e possibly a little confused about this.
The release kernels have a even middle number (ie 2.0.X, 2.2,X, 2.4,X) and
the dev ones have an odd middle number (ie. 2.1.X, 2.3.X)

Although as far as I'm aware they've not created a 2.5.X tree yet.

> Perhaps I should wait until 2.4.8 is available on cd,  as rpm, (I think
> installing from tar.gz may cause havoc with my rpm database.  Does anyone
> know what version rhl 7.2 (roswell) comes with.

2.4.6.  But Roswell isn't going to be the final 7.2 release, it's just the
beta.  The final will have another codename.