Re: [LUG] pop3 mail

I can confirm your settings: although I use screaming.net to connect, I can
access my freeserve account using kmail in Linux. My only difference is that I
use a win98 box to share a Winmodem over a 2 machine LAN instead of KPPP on a
standalone machine.

> Name: Paul Sutton
> Org:  Home User
> e-mail paul at psutton16.fsnet.co.uk
> reply to: as above
<<

The reply-to isn't needed if it's the same as the above, but that's no problem.

> I am using SMTP so I check this radio button then enter smtp.freeserve.net
> and the port as 25.  (25 seems to be default and I don't seem to have
> anything about smtp ports in my freeserve documentation.
<<

This only affects sending emails from kmail so that can't be the problem with
pop3. Besides, these are the same settings I use.

> pop.freeserve.net
<<

This is the main freeserve server. The info is correct, however, isn't this the
box for a real name for the account like Paul Sutton - Freeserve? I use a
simple text name here. The pop.freeserve.net is needed later.

> Name: Paul Sutton
> login: psutton16.fsnet.co.uk
<<

Unlike a lot of other ISP's, freeserve needs a full login like this. I use
neil01.freeserve.co.uk but that's an older style freeserve address. If this is
the login name you use for DUN or KPPP, then it is correct.

> passsword: password (well my real password anyway)
> host: this seems to be pop.freeserve.net (is this ok)
<<

It is.

> port: 110 (again not sure if this is right)
<<

Works for my freeserve account over Linux. (Mandrake 7.0)

> Once done I click ok then goto file and click check mail in - paul sutton
> and get the following error
>
> Account paul sutton in open.  The server was not found.
<<

Your pop, smtp and login details appear valid. as entered.

> I am not sure what is wrong here.
>
> Questions
>
> Should I belong to a pop users group.
<<

You can enter the same settings into kmail when logged in to Linux as root -
the emails will be stored in a separate directory but at least that can answer
this question. Try when logged in as root, that should solve permission related
problems. (Just be careful whilst logged in. I've trashed Linux many times by
fiddling as root!)

> I get the dialog box with my ip address and the freeserve address and how
> long i have been on line for. This seems ok.  however I am hoping that the
> problem is something really simple as I really could do with having acess to
> my pop3 mail again as I am unsure when i can get my other computer back.
<<

What about browsers? Can they access the net? News readers? FTP? This could
throw some light on your problems.

>>but do I need httpd to start up?
<<

Only if you want a local intranet server, perhaps to test a local web site
before uploading to the net. (My entire reason for getting Linux in the first
place!) httpd just loads Apache and unless you set it up yourself, the html
files are in /home/httpd/html  and can be accessed from a browser using
http://localhost without connecting to Freeserve.

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
linux at codehelp.co.uk