Re: [LUG] Why HTTP transfer quicker than FTP?

John Horne wrote:

> > Dig dig dig - don't suppose you have a SUN there to play with?
> >
> Hmm, well we do have a test system - an old sparcstation 20. However, I'm
> not the only user of it and I'm half way through devising/configuring it as
> part of a split mailhub (to be moved to an Ultra 10 hopefully later on), so
> I don't want to do too much to it. But what is it you are hinting at?? (I
> admit I am probably being dumb here and missing something...:-) )

Discussions focus on issues with TCP window sizes, and how packets are
acknowledged.

I can't see why ftp should be radically different from http - except
that it opens TCP connections both ways if I remember correctly.

Worth checking out local ftp performance. I think the TCP changes were
made in a fairly recent versions of Solaris.

I'm reading some stuff at HP and deja as I think Rick Jones (HP network
performance guru and more recently father) made some comments on the
topic.