[LUG] ISDN under Linux

After getting linux to run ISDN links, on both an internal and external
adapter, here are my thoughts and experiences:

--------

Internal.
Ta used: ELSA Quickstep 1000 Pci.
Distro:  RH Linux 6.2

Advantages:
No speed loss due to slow serial port.
Much cheaper hardware.

Battle is a good way to describe this.  RH's bulit in ISDN support is
mindnumbingly poor.  There is an X based widgety DUN style thing, but as
this machine was to be headless that was not much use.

Managed to get ifup and ifdown scripts from net and converted them to use
PPP rather than HDLC. (anyone is welcome to a copy)

I have still not got multilinking working.  (not really tried though).

Do not bother with the isdn4linux rpms.  Compile from source. Compile your
own kernel.

If you get an internal ISDN card, I recommend ELSA as they support the
isdn4linux development.

--------

External.
Ta used: 3com ISDN Pro TA.
Distro:  RH Linux 6.2

Advantages:
*Very* easy to make work.

Plug in, turn on, and use.  Easy.

No mucking about with isdn4linux.  I just pointed wvdial at it and it
worked.

It handles multilink itself.  Nice.

If you have a modem working under linux, this is as easy.

Downside:

To get the full 128k you either need a serial accerator card or USB
interface.

--------

-=-=-Alex Charrett-=-=-
		SMS: chas at termisoc.org subject:SMS