Re: [LUG] Sharing an internet connection on Win98 with a Linux box

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Neil Williams wrote:

> Recap:
> Linux Mandrake 7 192.168.0.2 http://Linux operates fine. No modem.
>
> Windows98 2nd Ed with Internet Connection Sharing leads to a static IP of
> 192.168.0.1 which operates fine.

ICS under 98se has a DHCP server deep in it that they don't like you to
fiddle with (no conf tool).  I found some time back that the gateway box
refused to talk to anything else on the LAN that it didn't have a DHCP
lease out for.

By defauly, in your case the DHCP server scope will be 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.0.254. (the whole subnet)

easiest solution (if I'm reading the situtation right) is to run regedit
and search for 192.168.0 and find the bit where the scope is specified
(AFAIT, it was fairly obvious), and reduce the scope.  then wop the Linux
Box on an IP outside of the DHCP scope range, and all should be well.

You'll need to reboot the 98 box tho (surprise surprise).

-=-=-Alex Charrett-=-=-
		SMS: chas at termisoc.org subject:SMS
Mail:   chas at termisoc.org		Web: http://www.termisoc.org/~chas/