Re: [LUG] fetchmail & samba

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Alex Stanley wrote:
> One problem I have with Samba though is that it only supports one
> method of authentication at one time.

True - but Wind98 and NT refuse to connect to servers that dont support
encryppted password- unless you turn it off.

> Win95 machines have a different authentication method to Win98 + NT
> machines, in that in the newer OSes the password is sent in encrypted
> form, but not under 95.
>
> So, I can either have my Win98 + NT boxes authenticate correctly and
> be able to access the files, or the Win95 boxes.  But not both.

You can get some registry patchs that turn this off for NT and Win98.  See

http://ie.samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ/#28

Think Win95A and Win95B do support encrypted passwords by default, however
I'm not 100% sure.  If you got a virgin Win95 install, it may be worth
trying the service pack to update it to Win95A.

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley
PGP Fingerprint: 1558 65D7 C77E 5DB3 CD8E 70CF 56DF 2DBC 40DB 06EC