Re: [LUG] fetchmail & samba

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Alex Charrett wrote:
> Yep, DHCP serving seems to work well under linux.  Obviosuly I've set the
> scope up so that it only works for boxes on the local subnet.
> And it's a dns server too, running my very own made up domain and a dns
> cache for the rest of the world.  Which means I don't have to fiddle
> around with host files all the time.

I have almost identical setup to Chas as well!

One thing I did find great about DHCP is it can set up a client with all
the details its needs, including the name of the Name server, WINS server
(Ducks) and the gateway server.  So if I want to change the IP address of
the gateway, just change the address in the name server file, and reboot
the clients - done! No searching for the Windows CD when it insists on
re-install the networking components, for a just a IP address change, or
trying to remember the subnet masks and IP addresses.  Add a new machine
to the network, just set the client to use DHCP, plug it in and go!

And samba is very good as well - it implements everything you need, while
letting you use some of the extra facilities of the ext2 file system such
as symbolic links.

Just me 2p's worth.

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley
PGP Fingerprint: 1558 65D7 C77E 5DB3 CD8E 70CF 56DF 2DBC 40DB 06EC