Re: [LUG] The great debate - window managers

re:enlightenment "bug"
in early versions of gnome panel eg. on redhat 5.2 the panel wouldn't
log out.

this could be fixed by running panel as a task & and enlightenment as
exec in
.Xclients
then in /usr/share/enlightenment/config/menus.cfg
you have to edit out the c style comment out markings from the line
/*ADD_MENU_TEXT_ITEM("Log Out",              __A_EXIT, "logout")*/
END_MENU
remove the /* and */
this also allows you to run enlightenment on its own anyway, if you've
used
gnome, then the enlightenment menus can still be configured using the
gnome
menu editor
normally the window manager is a task & and panel exec

I usually use enlightenment without the panel, although i would use
panel for
ppp dialler button. I also like windowmaker, but it does use a bit more
memory, I also use afterstep, fvwm-1, I don't like the kde, but I do
like and
use k apps and gnome apps, i prefer kfm for ftp drag 'n drop

John Horne wrote:

> On 10-Mar-00 at 10:09:02 RuS wrote:
> > KDE2 is fairly impressive - although it looks and feels far too much
> > like a windoze clone for my liking.
> >
> Have to agree with that. I use KDE  (version 1) because we run CDE on the
> Sun systems and I quite like that. In that respect I'll probably try KDE2
> and so long as I can configure it to look like the KDE 1 I have at present
> then I'll keep it. Haven't really used much else.
>
> We had an admin box running gnome/enlightenment up here but they hated it.
> Must admit it definitely had a bug somewhere since you couldn't log out of
> it! :-) Had to keep just turning the system off. I've now changed it to
> KDE/kwm.

ps. I have city & guilds in microprocessor electronics servicing, and
was a
technician  for 8 years at the University of Exeter.

mike bouckley