Re: [LUG] lurking and learning

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Tom Laithwaite wrote:
> I'm 17 and live in Exmouth, and doing my A-levels at Exeter College. Got
[into snipped]

hi

> is there a c/c++ book you can recommend, i would like to learn but i
> can't find an online tutorial thats much good, and before a splash out
> on a book i'd like an opinion from someone who's already bought one!

er.. I personally would reccomend the waite groups c++ book - I can't
remember the exact title but has heraldic knights on the cover and is
_big_. It has just about everything in it and goes at a nice pace. An
easier into is Kamsa's saved by C++ which is very quick and goes straight
into your head like a well greased.. erm. (lets stop there).

for Perl (if you use *nix you have to learn perl - and know all monty
python scripts by heart) I'd say Randal L Shwartz learning perl published
by O reilly. O reilly are very good publishers with some exceptions (some
of the database books have issues but are still way better than most).

GNOME!!! er.. I think _everything_ you'll ever need is somewhere in SuSE!

rgds,
A.

--
<!-- betty  at  area51 --><A HREF = "http://www.termisoc.org/~betty">
LAUNCELOT:  We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.