[LUG] lurking and learning

this is really just to introduce myself to the group, and to ask some
dumb questions.

I'm 17 and live in Exmouth, and doing my A-levels at Exeter College. Got
Suse 6.3 when it came out and have only just got round to partitioning
etc, and have found it to be much more straight forward than its made
out to be. As I spent most of my time in Win tweaking my setup in
regedit, the config files are a blessing although you have to know which
one you want. My main reason for switching to Linux was C/C++, I have
some general programming knowledge mainly based on the BASIC type
language of my TI-80 graphics calculator!. I also have played about in
VB, and 'played around' with programs in ASM mostly disabling windows
and dialog boxes and stuff you can do by changing je to jne! anyway back
to the dumb questions::

is there a c/c++ book you can recommend, i would like to learn but i
can't find an online tutorial thats much good, and before a splash out
on a book i'd like an opinion from someone who's already bought one!

any programs that are more or less vital to a linux setup, eg  a zip
prog or a download manger for win

right thats it for now, i hope i haven't annoyed anybody (i'm quite good
at that) any general advice would be helpful

Tom Laithwaite
ICQ#24487510
E-mail tomlai at eclipse.co.uk