Re: [LUG] lurking and learning

On 25-Jan-00 at 20:14:24 Alex Charrett wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Tom Laithwaite wrote:
>> any programs that are more or less vital to a linux setup, eg  a zip
>> prog or a download manger for win
>
> Fairly unsure where you're going with this question but most linux
> distributions should come with a zi and unzip programs and pkzip for linux
> can be obtained from pkware.com under the UNIX section.  For native a
> native unix version try 'man tar'

I'd add bzip2 and bunzip2 as well (slower but better compression ratio).

Tom, if you're unsure about things like gzip then perhaps a book on Linux
may help too - get an idea of what you can/cannot do with the system. Then
see what's out there that you may want to try/investigate, and what may be
of use to you. Alternatively as Alex says, use the man pages and (if you
have them) HOWTO's (I use the find command to simply locate possible stuff
such as HOWTO's on the system).

> As far as a download manager goes, I've no idea what one is but wget is a
> handy tool for downlading things.  or NcFTP for a ftp cient.  I tend to
> live on the command prompt on the whole, which is imho one of  Linux's
> beauties so I couldn't say much about X based apps.

Under X I'd recommend gFTP - nice little windows of the local and remote
systems and a status bar showing the transfer rate.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john at jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk