Re: [LUG] lurking and learning

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Tom Laithwaite wrote:

> is there a c/c++ book you can recommend?

C++ The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt is *very* good.  I use it
all the time. Its now in its 3rd edition (I have the 2nd which was about
30 quid).

> any programs that are more or less vital to a linux setup, eg  a zip
> prog or a download manger for win

Fairly unsure where you're going with this question but most linux
distributions should come with a zi and unzip programs and pkzip for linux
can be obtained from pkware.com under the UNIX section.  For native a
native unix version try 'man tar'

As far as a download manager goes, I've no idea what one is but wget is a
handy tool for downlading things.  or NcFTP for a ftp cient.  I tend to
live on the command prompt on the whole, which is imho one of  Linux's
beauties so I couldn't say much about X based apps.

Howver imho pam, glibc and inetd are more vital to a linux setup than a
compression program or whatever a downlaod program is.

-=-=-Alex Charrett-=-=-
TermiSoc System Administrator
		SMS: chasmobile at sms.genie.co.uk
Mail:  chas at termisoc.org 		Web: http://www.termisoc.org/~chas/