Re: [LUG] lurking and learning

Tom,

I think by a download manager you mean something like Go!zilla or
something?  Am I right?

And no, I'm afraid I don't know of something exactly like that for
X...wget will attempt to keep to getting the file you're after until
you get it, but it's a command line thing.

John: using find to find HOWTOs???  Have you considered the locate
command?  Providing you leave your box on 24/7 (or call the appropriate
program from rc.local) a program called updatedb should run every night
via cron.  This updates a database file with details of all files on
system...you can then use the locate program to find a file in that
database.

Result: you get instant results as opposed to having to wait while find
recurses it's way through your filesystem...very handy.

BTW if you don't leave your system on 24/7 just put one of these in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

RH5.x: /etc/cron.daily/updatedb.cron &
RH6.x: /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron &

Under 5.x, the script runs updatedb as nobody, ensuring people can't see
stuff they shouldn't be able to, whilst 6.x comes with slocate - secure
locate - which takes file permissions into account when showing locate
results.

Cheers,
J.

--
Jon Still  <jon at termisoc.org>
http://www.termisoc.org/~jon/

We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once.
		-- Calvin Coolidge