RE: [LUG] need printing advice

On 23-Nov-99 at 20:38:16 lonehacker wrote:
> I am using red hat 6.1 and seem to be having problems printing, under
> version 6 during text based installation I got an option to configure a
> printer during set up, this worked fine, I don't seem to have the same
> option under text or graphical install under version 6.1.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything.

I can think of 2 things:
1) Get the bug-fixed lpr rpm from the redhat updates site (might as well get
   all the relevant updates whilst you're there!).
2) You probably require an entry in your /etc/conf.modules files. I honestly
   cannot remeber what it is, but I have a hardcopy at home (it's only one
   line, but I got the fix from a web site). I'll bring it in tomorrow and
   mail you the suggestion. The entry creates an alias between the parallel
   port module and your hardware parallel port (or something like that).

> Also can someone suggest partition sizes I have a 2500Mb harddisk
>
> So far I have determined that I can have
>
> 25 Mb for my /boot partition
> 127 mb for swap
> I usually have between 50 and 100mb for /home
>
> I am not sure how big / and /root should be, I generally have a large /usr
> partition as this is where most programs are stored.

Sort of comes down to personal choice really I think. Your swap and /boot are
the same as mine (although I have 30MB for boot since I expect to shove some
other stuff in there). I then simply create a root (/) partition on the rest
of the disk - 4GB at work, 2GB at home. I see no need for other partitions
except for a production server system where you may want to have a seperate
/var partition in case your log files get huge. If it fills up then it won't
stop the system (or at least shouldn't cause it any real problems) :-)
Don't forget you are going to lose a bit of disk space for each partition
created unless you run mkfs with options to reduce the reserved space.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john at jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk