[LUG] Intro

Well I suppose I'd better do a little intro...

I'm Jon - I've been dabbling with Linux since version 1.0.9, with a
yay-old version of Slackware...only really got into it seriously since
starting at the University of Plymouth and joining TermiSoc (Computing
Society).  I'm currently on a 1 year placement at Cisco Systems in London.

I'm currently running RedHat 6.0, freshly installed after adventures with
SuSE.  Sorry - I really don't like SuSE.  Or Debian for that matter.  I
like an installation to finish and for you to be left with a vaguely
polished system.  Debian and SuSE just don't feel there yet.  Plus there
were genuine problems - a whole swathe of missing module calls led to me
causing a kernel panic while trying to mount a zip disk to restore my
homedir...yeah things like don't exactly inspire confidence in a
product.  And althought SuSE is a damn slight better than Debian it's
still odd, coming from a RedHat background.

I suppose what I really need to do is spend time getting used to it.  But
they do need to iron the problems out.  Could not get my mouse working
directly under X - the only way I could do it was to start gpm in repeater
mode, which copies all mouse data to /dev/gpmdata and tell X to get the
info from there.  And even then it didn't work properly.  On the other
hand, PPP and networking worked perfectly first time.

The other thing that annoyed me about SuSE was it's tendancy to keep
switching back to KDE when I started X.  It would *not* keep WindowMaker
as the default....now I know it's not too much work to hack bits out of
scripts, but still..I shouldn't have to.

J.

--
Jon Still  <jon at termisoc.org>
http://www.termisoc.org/~jon/