Re: [LUG] Linux Clusters!!!!

On 03-May-01 at 18:30:11 Jason Mepham wrote:
> I dont know what I want to do with it once we have built it.  I thought of
> linking some together and answering questions like, does it work, do each
> know they are there and can we get them to work together.  I thought of
> letting them lose on say the seti project or similar.

I think your attitude is right that simply being able to put a cluster
together is an achievement in itself - heck, I remember being well pleased
when I first installed linux (redhat 4.2)! :-) In theory the next step was
what to do with it - actually I already knew this and was installing linux
because I needed it.

Without getting into hot water, a cluster would no doubt be useful for some
number-crunching in terms of...erm...passwords or encryption codes, or the
cracking thereof? :-) Probably have to be a big cluster is 486's are being
used though! :-)

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk