Re: [LUG] Linux Clusters!!!!

On 03-May-01 at 14:28:49 Simon Waters wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
>> Hmm...mail servers. Easier still would probably be just to let the DNS
>> round-robin the (equal preference) MX records :-)
>
> I know some who do this,

Yes, we do...

> and by delivering to home directories via NFS with locking it scales
> well. But the home directories are on one machine unless you have some
> sort of fail-over disk array scheme, so a disk failure can
> cost lost mail, and a machine failure might stop say users
> A-M from reading mail...

Ah, no home directories though. Only transient mail is on the disk; still a
loss but not so bad :-) And of course we have nightly backups :-)

> I'm pretty certain mirroring over ethernet has been done on
> Linux already..... One of those howto's that I read, thought
> useful, and forgot..

Ah, but I don't want mirroring, I want (selected) data synchronisation - i.e.
I chose what I want synchronised, other than that the disks may be
completely different.

BTW I have software raid 1 mirroring at home using 2 IDE disks. It actually
works well, and there 'seems' to be little performance loss, but I never
really hit the disks that hard.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk