Re: [LUG] Linux Clusters!!!!

John Horne wrote:

> Hmm...mail servers. Easier still would probably be just to let the DNS
> round-robin the (equal preference) MX records :-)

I know some who do this, and by delivering to home
directories via NFS with locking it scales well. But the
home directories are on one machine unless you have some
sort of fail-over disk array scheme, so a disk failure can
cost lost mail, and a machine failure might stop say users
A-M from reading mail...

HP typically use two boxes and two disk arrays and a service
fails from one box to the other, the other box takes over
the other disk array. Using Optical SCSI technology they can
put a fair bit of physical distance between one set of box
and disk array, and the other.

Of course there is no magic reason to use optical fibre,
scsi channels and diskarrays other than performance, and
that the hardware being engineered to do this from the
ground up. I don't see anything in the approach that can't
be reproduced in software and ethernet....

I'm pretty certain mirroring over ethernet has been done on
Linux already..... One of those howto's that I read, thought
useful, and forgot..