Re: [LUG] Laptops

I am not a Redhat user so I can't answer these questions as well as
you might hope, but here's a quick stab at it.

On Thursday 05 April 2001  8:16 pm, Jason Mepham wrote:
> HI, just trying to ask a few questions reference my red hat 7.0 deluxe.
> 1.  why does it blend gnome and kde when i'm in root.  I mean the icons on
> the desktop.

I have noticed that starting the kde file manager (konqueror) when running
the gnome desktop will also bring up your kde desktop icons, and vice versa.
Perhaps that is the problem?
BTW, you might want to get into the habit of not logging on as root unless
you have to, it's safer to be a normal user and use the su command when you
have to do something you need to be root to do.  Me and my root desktop are
complete strangers to each other.

> 2.  why has my backspace button stopped working on my keyboard and started
> acting like the delete button when it does work

I'm sure there is a good answer to this, but it lies in one of those grey
areas of my understanding, a box I open only if I really have to!  Does it
happen in every application?

> 3. why does no-one tell you how to install new kernels and other updates on
> the magazines you buy, Linux Format , Linux Magazine etc.

If the cd has redhat 7 rpms on it then read your documentation about how to
install external packages.  Linux kernels on magazine cds usually come as a
kernel source archive which need to be compiled and installed, However, I
would not recommend trying to do this unless you have a compelling reason,
such as "I want to do it just for the fun of it and I don't care if my system
acts a bit funny afterwards".  Lots of other applications on cd's come as
source archives, if your interested, you might like to practice your
"./configure make make install" incantations on them instead.

I would agree with you that the magazines don't take very much care over what
they put on the cd's, especially as they can be a useful resource for those
who don't have access to an incredibly fast connection.

> 4.  why does my computer now forget things , for instance I have just had
> the kppp message ' kppp daemon died unexpectedly', message.  then the
> windows regarding my internet connection close but yet the computer dials
> the internet and i am now connected but there is no record of it on the
> panel, desktop etc.

I know that message well and there could be lots of reasons for it. You might
be using a less than perfect version of kppp.  If the version of kde you are
using is greater than 1.1 and  less than 2.01 that is very likely.
Presumably the redhat manual gives you some good instructions for making
dial-up connections which don't involve kppp.

> I am a real newbie to this Linux and some might say a nebie to computers
> can someone give me a bit of direction.... many thanks.

The thing I like about Linux, in comparison to a certain other operating
system, is that there is always a solution - somewhere - to your problems,
you never actually need to give up and reinstall, although having said that,
in my first couple of years messing with Linux I managed to get my machine in
such a mess that I did just that, on several occasions.  It was, at the time,
the quickest way of getting out of situations which had got too complicated
for me, but then - nothing ventured...
You seem, like me, to be using Linux mainly as a (home?) desktop system.
Linux is at the moment going through very rapid development in this field,
with the Gnome and KDE desktops leapfrogging each other to improve their
applications and functionality.  The distributions are trying their best to
put all this together into a package that works pretty much out of the box,
but they are, at the moment, always a few months behind developments.
Redhat, I understand, has made the most effort in integrating Gnome into
their system, whereas Mandrake and SuSE have concentrated on KDE.

> also what kind of antivirus do I need.  Can anyone suggest a good one to me

Up until recently I would have said "none at all", Linux viruses were pretty
much unknown "in the wild", but there have been recent reports of worms which
can come in over the internet (one called Ramen I think) and mess with your
system, so if and when you can get back on the net, have a look at the redhat
site and download and install any security patches they recommend if you want
to be sure.

I'm sure there are some redhat users on the list who might be able to give
you more help, but the population might be a little thin right now with
students on easter holidays.  Anyway, that's my essay for tonight ...
[2/10 see me]

Tony Atkin