[LUG] Laptops

Just stuck Redhat 7.0 on the Laptop, it has a really archaic and broken
PCMCIA package - yuk. A quick jump to a more recent pcmcia-cs and
starting pcmcia before the network interface that uses it fixed most of
the problems.....

The install in Redhat 7 was really slick only oddity was the RPM
dependancy checker that didn't follow dependancies of dependancies, but
kept asking me if it should....

Lets not compare it to the Win98 recovery disk, which crashed during
install, crashed on reboot, installed a driver and a driver mananger for
products not on the computer, which duly hung Windows after you logged
in so you had to power down. Who moved safe mode from F8 - quick safe
mode and regedit and all was well..... and it was 'Designed for
Win98'....

Anyway I'll be sticking SUSE 7.1 on it before Linux day - if I ever get
the current project out of the way....

XFree86 4.0.1a worked first time with Redhat 7, the Graphics card is
identified as an unknown ATI , but the LCD seems still to be identified
as limited to 640x480 when Windows managed 1024x768.

I'll have a poke around the www.xfree86.org - but has anyone seen any
really understandable documentation on Xfree version 4 configuration?

	Simon
--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day