Re: [LUG] 2.4 kernels

John Horne wrote:

> BIND 9 we now use on the Uni's main name servers - no problems, except the
> stats stuff still has to be done.

My playing with 9 has been good.

It is slower than 8 but for most people that isn't an issue (Slower as
in less queries per second under load).

Whilst it lacks some features it has gained others, I get the feeling
that the security options aren't fully debugged, but then who uses
DNSSEC (I'm writing a report in the other window for the kind of
organisation that should use it, saying don't bother yet).

> After the ipchains/iptables messages before, yes iptables is the way to go,
> and likewise I need to 'convert' my ipchains stuff to iptables. Iproute2, as
> Alex hinted, seems to really relate to serious network fiddling on your
> machine - not something I need, and can thus be considered an 'add-on'.

I meant to say my understanding was the same as Alex's *8). There are
some tools to convert ipchains to iptools I think but if your just
covering one PC it is probably easier to learn iptables.

> The 2.4 kernel reiserFS provides a 'logging' file system which may be
> (probably will be!) useful/nice for servers. I gather it also provides
> significant performance benefit with squid web caching as well - if you run
> that.

Let's hope we don't end up with perpetual file system wars on
uk.comp.os.linux, like sporadically get set off on other Unix groups.

Interesting discussion on Postfix user group bemoaning the use of ext2fs
on Linux. The lazy metadata update (Non-Posix conforming these days!)
means that in certain configurations (Delivery to user directory based
mailboxes - which scales better) mail is filed in lost+found after a
crash on Linux (The is equivalent to "lost" on most Linux systems in my
experience).

Wietse (the author) had taken great pains to ensure that the relevant
commands were run on Postfix's directories so if delivery is to the
usual mail spool directory this doesn't happen. He had several
descriptive comments about people who rely on the default Linux
installation - so I expect Reiser to replace ext2fs as much as possible
to avoid these kinds of problems.

Certainly in my HP work, Veritas file systems are now default, and if
you want better performance you tune the Veritas file system to do less
of the things it does to keep your data safe or you load up the raw I/O
driver for your database and say goodbye to file systems completely.

--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day