Re: [LUG] 2.4 kernels

On 27-Mar-01 at 12:16:24 Simon Waters wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
>> Oddly enough I still had an old 2.2.16 kernel available (via lilo and on
>> the disk), but booting that didn't help. Odd, since changing the kernel
>> won't change the pppd file itself.
>
> Funny my dual boot 2.4.0, 2.2.18, is working fine, except all networking
> but ethernet networking breaks at 2.4. Sure you didn't fiddle with
> something like /etc/module.conf ?

Nope. I compile the ppp stuff directly into the kernel since I use it a fair
bit.

> Alas 2.4 isn't high on my agenda at the moment, as it doesn't do
> anything new for me that I need as far as I know, although it will let
> me use threads with my BIND 9 test runs (<sarcasm>Yippee</sarcasm>), and
> learn iptables (having just mastered ipchains).

BIND 9 we now use on the Uni's main name servers - no problems, except the
stats stuff still has to be done.

After the ipchains/iptables messages before, yes iptables is the way to go,
and likewise I need to 'convert' my ipchains stuff to iptables. Iproute2, as
Alex hinted, seems to really relate to serious network fiddling on your
machine - not something I need, and can thus be considered an 'add-on'.

The 2.4 kernel reiserFS provides a 'logging' file system which may be
(probably will be!) useful/nice for servers. I gather it also provides
significant performance benefit with squid web caching as well - if you run
that.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk