Re: [LUG] ipchains, iptables or what

On 26 Mar 2001 12:33:37 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone just confirm for me whether I am right in thinking that
> ipchains was replaced by iptables, but that now iptables has been replaced
> by iproute-2? I'd like to 'upgrade' (finally) from ipchains but want to make
> sure that I'll be using the right stuff.

    Do you really what to be manually setting up iptables rules.

    Go to freshmeat.net and get a "firewall iptables" script do you job
    for you. Because if you manually setup a basic few lines, like for
    ipchains, you will get a firewall, just like ipchains. You can block
    against all types of attacks and spoofing etc.

    Alternatively go the whole way to an amazing system: Get an rsync
    going on the latest Mandrake 8 cooker site. As the developers are
    now on there way to a 3rd Beta Release and it's got everything. All
    major components are within a week of the CVS stable releases.

    From DrakConf the User friendly X multi configurator, you can setup
    the "Bastile Firewall" which can use either ipchains or iptables.

    Also Included is:
    Wine build is 25/3/1
    KDE 2.1 + Magellan ( Outlook Clone )
    Gnome 1.4 + Nautilus ( Advanced File Explorer ) , Evoulution (
    Outlook Clone )
    XFree86 4.0.2 (Probably 4.0.3 by the time you read this)
    And all your favourite multimedia, office, server apps.

    It's become a "no faff" system. The Installer has each computer
    function broken down into about 10 logical chunks. Web server, Mail
    server, DNS, Office apps, Multimedia etc....

    Each Kernel build includes all necessary modules + alsa for sound,
    reiser file system, DRM graphics modules

    Installing off the web is a snitch, but takes a few nights of free
    downloading to get the 1Gb of files.

    If any one is interested I could write a small how to.

    You me getting hold of it before the release date has saved the MAD
    struggle to get a copy when they do go to press and announce the
    final release. Instead when they do release it, one can just slow up
    on installing the rpm updates. :-)

    Regards,

    Billus