[LUG] Crashes - Mandrake 7.1 and Kde

I am using Mandrake 7.1 (kerrnel upgraded to 2.2.16 / KDE and Kmail client.
when I check my mail it seems to hang on the last message and I can't get a
response from the system,

ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del, I cant even use ctrl-alt-f12 to switch
consoles,  so i guess something must be really wrong somewhere.

I did have a theme running so I went back to the default as no theme,  and made
sure no other apps were running but it still crashes.  I am not exactly sure
what is causing this,  It could be a bug somewhere,  can anyone help.

Also I tried to check my mail on saturday and now have 2 copiesKernel 2.2 16.   of some
messages.  Should it do this as it seems to download messages which I have
deleted.?

I found the shell scripting tutor useful so thank you for that,  It seems quite
easy,  is this an ongoing document?

Ii should be running Mandrake 7.2 at somepoint after christmas so I will try
and let you know how I get on with the upgrade.

thats all for now,

 Paul