RE: [LUG] Star Office

On 21-Nov-00 at 16:55:48 Mike Callaghan wrote:
> In message <002501c052d2$24f1a580$5646fea9 at linux>, Neil Stone
> <Neil at ukdominion.supanet.com> writes
>>> I am using a p166 with 96 mb ram and star office seems to take ages to
>>>load, after clicking on the icon on the K menu,  do you have any
>>> suggestions as to why it takes so long?
>>
>>It takes ages on my mates 550, w/ 128 MB RAM... guess its just a slow
>>program...
> So what do you lot call slow? SO loads in 8 seconds on my AMD266, 80 Mb,
> KDE on RH7. By comparison MS Word takes 8 seconds on my AMD500, 64 Mb,
> Win98SE, SO takes 4 secs.

Hmm...P133,128MB (my work pc!) it took 55 seconds to load :-( Good excuse for
the boss to buy me something faster :-)

At home, a P200,96MB loaded quite quickly (very vague!), and the Duron
700/128MB takes only a few seconds of course :-)

I guess it depends however on what else the system is doing. If it
really is bad, then running 'top' should show what else is going on. On mine
I am now running KDE2 and it seems to have slowed things down a bit (probably
takes more memory). Having said that I guess on a faster machine the 'slow
down' would be less noticable.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk